• Female Workers Exposed To 8-Hour EMF Radiation From Computer Monitors Experience Thyroid Hormone Decline: Reversed By Zinc Supplementation

    Posted October 17, 2017: by Bill Sardi

    Sensationalized news reports about theoretical radiation health hazards posed by electronic devices like cell phones, computer monitors and electric power lines often alarm the public for no reason other than attracting readers or viewers. The reported experiments involve doses of radiation far beyond what users of electronic devices are exposed to. Or the experiments are performed with lab animals or cells in a lab dish, hardly real world environments.

    However, a recently published study sets off real alarm bells. Researchers report that low-dose EMF (electromagnetic field) radiation emitted from computer monitors adversely affects thyroid hormone levels in females, a problem that was surprisingly reversed by zinc supplementation.

    Office workers who spent ~8 hours a day, 5 days a week, in front of computer monitors had their thyroid hormone levels measured pre and post zinc supplementation. They were compared with workers who spent ~4 hours/day exposed to EMF from computer monitors. Daily zinc tablets (25 milligrams) were given to 8-hour computer workers and their pre and post zinc supplementation thyroid hormone levels were measured after 8 weeks.

    Eight-hour EMF exposure lowered circulating zinc levels, which correlated with reduced T-4, T-3 and thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) levels among female workers only. Males were not affected.

    Affect Of Electromagnetic Fields From Computer Monitors On Thyroid Hormone Levels
    Corrected With Zinc Supplementation

    Thyroid Stimulating Hormone

    T-4

    T-3

    Zinc Level

    8-HOUR COMPUTER USERS PRIOR TO ZINC SUPPLEMENTATION

    Male

    2.096

    1.05

    1.94

    130.3

    Female

    2.068

    0.96

    1.74

    119.9

    8-HOUR COMPUTER USERS AFTER ZINC SUPPLEMENTATION

    Male

    2.135

    1.03

    2.07

    139.3

    Female

    2.551

    1.04

    2.20

    137.6

    4-HOUR COMPUTER USERS- NO ZINC

    Male

    2.376

    1.09

    2.14

    130.4

    Female

    2.502

    1.10

    2.29

    148.1

    Source: Macedonian Journal Medical Sciences 2016

    Iodine is the trace mineral usually identified with the thyroid gland function. Other nutrients such as vitamin A, iron, selenium and zinc interact with iodine to facilitate proper thyroid function. Zinc has been shown to normalize thyroid hormone levels but only among subjects with enlarged thyroid (goiter). So it was a surprise to learn that zinc protects the thyroid gland from EMF radiation.

    As background information, the thyroid gland is the only organ in the body that can absorb iodine. Iodine is required to produce thyroid hormones T4 and (T3). About 80% of thyroid hormone is T4, however the remaining 20% T3 is ~4 times greater effect as T3. When thyroid hormone levels drop too low the pituitary gland produces Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

    Iodine as potassium iodide protects the thyroid from radioactive iodine produced by exposure to ionizing radiation such as emitted into the environment from nuclear power plant leakage.

    The thyroid gland also needs the trace mineral selenium to convert T4 to T3, the active hormone form and enhances the effect of iodine.

    Other studies show EMF radiation from computer video display monitors may induce chromosome damage in humans. EMFs from computer monitors are considered a potential health hazard.

    Other supplemental vitamins have been demonstrated to help protect the thyroid gland from environmental radiation hazards. For example, vitamin E has also been shown to protect the thyroid gland from low frequency electromagnetic fields.

    And there are other EMF vulnerable organs in physical proximity to EMF emitted by computer monitors, such as the human eye. Vitamin C has been demonstrated to protect the cornea (clear front window of the eyes) and focusing lens from computer monitor-emitted radiation.

    Resveratrol, known as a red wine molecule, has been demonstrated to protect from exposure to EMF. Resveratrol normalizes thyroid hormone production.

    Computer users often complain of the same symptoms associated with low thyroid (hypothyroid). Low thyroid induces symptoms of fatigue, constipation, dry skin, weight gain, puffy face, hoarseness, depression, slow heart rate, hair loss, sensitivity to cold, carpal tunnel, sleepiness, stomach bloating and cold hands and feet.

    It seems obvious, computer users, especially females, would derive the best protection for their thyroid gland from EMF with use of a multivitamin that provides a sufficient amount of zinc (25+ mg) along with selenium, vitamin E, vitamin C and resveratrol. There is only multivitamin that presently provides that much zinc along with other accompanying nutrients. ####

    Share

Comments are closed.